I met my wife (Carrie) my freshman year of college. We married in 1998 and together supported each other as we finished our undergrad degrees, obtained a masters in leadership (her), attended Gonzaga School of Law (Me), and had three children (Maylee, Aaron Jeffrey "AJ", and Malia). I'm proud to be a father, husband, and attorney.
I grew up in an area in east Pierce County where the most valuable asset most people have is their labor. My dad worked in the shipyards, my mother drove a bus, and both of them were impacted throughout their lives by labor disputes. My dad lost his job as a Boilermaker due to an employer lockout. My mom was a shop steward for the Operating Engineers. I grew up understanding the strength of solidarity, the impact our system has on real people and families, and the important role collective bargaining has in our system. Due to these experiences, I am proud to represent labor organizations and workers.
As an adult I have had the opportunity to represent people who work for a living, who are building families that remind me of mine, and who struggle to give their kids something better than they had.
I am a union-side labor attorney and represent unions whose members consist of both private and public sector workers. I have represented clients in dozens of disciplinary and contract interpretation arbitrations. I both advise negotiators and have acted as the chief bargainer. I have also been lead counsel in unit clarification, recognition cases, unfair labor practice charges, and D.F.R. litigation before the National Labor Relations Board.
In addition to representing unions I served United Food & Commercial Workers in northern Idaho, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington as their Secretary-Treasurer. Drawing from this experience I oftentimes advise clients on issues related to the Union as the employer.
When not representing workers I can be found coaching seven year old girls’ basketball, growling at a three year old, or giggling with our infant. I play a lot of basketball, hike (especially with my dad when he is up to it), and read (preferably science fiction). Many of the pictures on this site are my amateur attempts to capture nature’s beauty.
Licenses & Memberships
• Washington State Bar Association
• Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
• Washington State Association of Justice
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of WA
• U.S. District Court, Western District of WA
• AFL-CIO L.C.C.
• Labor Arbitration
• Labor Negotiations
• NLRB Hearings and Procedures
• Union as Employer
Experience & Education
• McGuinness & Streepy Law, Partner 2010-15.
• UFCW 1439 Secretary-Treasurer & Attorney 2005-2010.
• Gonzaga Law School, cum laude, 2005
• Gonzaga Law Review, Article Editor and Board Member
• Externship - clerking for the Honorable Chief Judge of the Eastern District of WA Fred Van Sickle
• Whitworth University, Political Science
Clients & Industries
• United Food & Commercial Workers Locals
• Office and Professional Employees
• Retail sales, healthcare, packing and processing plants, meat retail, & office workers.
• 2014 Arbitration Update: UFCW 21 E-Board Conference
• 2011 Labor Law Update: United Staff Nurses Steward's Conference
• Weingarten & Workplace Rights - Multiple UFCWs
• Investigating Grievances for Union Representatives- Multiple UFCWs